Q: ABS light is on.

When breaking hard on dry surface sounds like the system is engaging. Otherwise no noise. There is rust going on under the truck.

Your truck is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information constantly to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely. When you brake harder than normal, this may cause the ABS system to engage. This can also happen when the sensors are beginning to fail and will start to work intermittently. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your ABS and traction control system in order to pinpoint what exactly is at fault.