Q: Brakes are making a subtle grinding sound

asked by on July 18, 2017

Whenever I apply the brakes, the back ones make a grinding sound. It is not loud. If I have the volume on the radio at an indoor talking volume, you can't hear it. It basically makes the sound that cars make after you haven't drove for a while and there is some rust on the rotor. But, the sound doesn't ever completely go away after even if you use the brakes multiple times. I recently had my front brakes changed at Firestone and along with that, had them do a full multi-point inspection and they didn't say anything about my back brakes. The only reason I noticed this was because the front brakes were making a louder noise which caused me to get the rotors/pads replaced, and now since that louder noise is gone, I notice the back ones are making this sound.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Quite often a mechanic shop can miss issues like this - especially when they are trying to get cars in and out of service in their busy shops. However, if the brake pads are good and rotors have a bit of rust, the grinding sound might come from the application of the brakes. It’s also possible that the rear wheel bearings are the source of your noise. It’s probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car is making a noise inspection to determine the exact source of this noise and recommend or complete the right repairs for you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr