Q: esp bas light on dash keeps coming on

the bas/esp light on my 1999 sl500 was coming on intermitantly.Then going about 15 miles an hour one day my brakes locked op and the triangle in the center console flashed I replaced the brake light switch ,turned the stop to stop it went out. but when i start to drive it they comes back fault codes but a possible output shaft speed sensor. I shook both front wheels and the passenger side has some play,could that cause this?

A: There is a TSB (technical service bulletin)...

There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) for this issue. It does say the brake switch is the source of the problem. At least it can be the source of the fix. But it doesn't say replace the switch. Apparently there is too much travel in the brake switch and the distance the switch travels is compared to other vehicle parameters involve with stability control. The TSB outlines a procedure to add a spacer to the brake switch.

There are four separate TSB's on the stability control for your car. Each has corresponding codes. The one I mentioned above is the only one that states the esp and bas lights are illuminated. The others only light up the esp light. If this is the case, they are outlining problems with the steering angle sensor.

Either way, this is a highly technical system and I recommend booking an appointment with a qualified technician. I recommend the following inspection to help you out; Taction control light is on which can be performed at your home or office. This inspection isn't titled exactly your problem, but the skill set for you repair is the same.

Good luck!