Q: Car will not move after driving for 2 minutes

When I start my car I am able to drive for 2 minutes, after which the accelerators seems to stop working. The car loses speed and when I try to accelerate the engine revs, but there is no motion, no matter which gear. I then switch off my car for five minutes or so and find that the car starts, moves and stops again after 2 minutes (i.e. the cycle repeats itself).

Prior to this, I had no real issues with my car, except a screechy fan belt which would quieten down after 10 minutes or so of driving. My mechanic fixed this issue 1 month ago ( I believe he adjusted the belt) and for the first time since I've had the car, the screechy sound seemed to be gone. However I noticed the car seemed slower, and when I would stop at a traffic light close to the end of an hour long drive, it would pick up motion very sluggishly.

However I only noticed it 3 or 4 times in the last 6 weeks.

Will really appreciate your help on figuring out what's causing the acceleration problem. Thank you.

A: Hi there. According to what you've desc...

Hi there. According to what you've described, this sounds like a slipping transmission. When the internal clutch packs become worn or damaged, the friction material is reduced and slipping can occur. Once the transmission begins slipping, it can overheat the fluid and continued use will further the condition. You have some options if you want to keep the vehicle: replace the transmission with a used unit, replace the transmission with a new unit, or have the transmission rebuilt.

I strongly recommend you acquire a qualified technician to perform any of these options. Your mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an acceleration inspection and provide an estimate and direction for repair.