Q: Gear selector stuck in park

asked by on February 12, 2016

The gear selector is stuck in Park, and I cannot start my car. AAA had replaced a band that had come off, and the car worked fine. I think this might be the same problem.

Car does not shift from park to drive Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. This is a common problem in both Chevrolet and GMC trucks and SUVs of that year. The safety system requires pushing on the brake to start the vehicle, so the problem is likely that the brake switch on the pedal assembly has come loose, and does not activate. If the brake switch is firmly connected, then you must access the shifter mechanism, and locate a release button on the side, to allow the lever to move. Beyond this, there may be a mechanical failure of the shifter mechanism. As the solution likely requires an involved job, it would be best to enlist the help of a qualified and experienced technician in determining the source and cause of your shifting issue.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr