Q: Can you reset or bypass traction control?

We changed the back tires. Since then the traction control light keeps flashing and the car loses power.

If you just put on new tires only in the rear and not in the front then the tires need to be checked to see if there is a difference in the tire height. This will cause the wheel sensors see the rear tires turning slower than the front and cause the traction control and throttle control to kick in. You can turn off the traction control if you have an on off switch option on the dash. If not then you will need to replace the two front tires to match the new rear tires.

if the light came on after replacing the tires, verify that the tires are the same size front and rear. Anti-lock brake and traction control systems work by measuring wheel speed. Different size tires have different diameters, so they have a different rate of rotation. Smaller tires spin faster than larger tires. If there is as little as a 1/4 inch difference in the rolling diameter of the tires either front to back or side to side, (either due to mismatched sizes or significant differences in tread wear), the system may think that certain wheels are spinning faster or slower than others. So if for example, the rear tires are taller and spinning slower than the front, the traction and ABS systems may think the front wheels have lost traction because they are spinning faster than the rears. The traction control system will reduce engine power or even apply the brakes is it thinks those wheels are slipping (spinning faster) If the tires are correct, then the reason for the traction control light flashing will require further diagnosis. There is no way to bypass this system.

3. Can you reset or bypass traction control?