Q: Passenger seat heater not working properly.

asked by on November 11, 2016

After depressing the button, the lights (on the button) turn off after a couple of seconds. The seat never heats up. It used to work. I looked in the owners manual to find the fuse. It says the right front seat fuse is in the passenger side dash fuse box and the left seat is in the trunk fuse box. It takes a 15/30 fuse. Does that mean 15-30 range or is that a actual fuse? Also when I checked the fuse boxes...there is no fuse in the passenger seat location (it worked before) and the drivers seat fuse is a 5 amp. Are both seats running off the driver seats fuse and it needs to be changed to 15/30? Or, was the passenger seat somehow temporarily working without a fuse (nothing is jumping the fuse contacts) and do I need to put one in? I'm not the original owner of the car.

Power Seat is not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The book says that you can use a 15, 20, 25, or 30 amp fuse. The power to the heaters are operated through the wiring to the main harness. There could have been a wire tied into it to make the seat work on the same circuit as the driver seat. This is common to find in the vehicles.

You can try putting a 15 amp fuse in the slot and see if the seat works. Try to avoid using a high amp fuse for if there is a problem with the heater you don’t want to burn it. If nothing seems to work, then the heater in the seat has failed and needs replaced.

If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can assist you with a seat inspection at your home or office. Best of luck.