Q: My MAP sensor failed I replaced it then it failed again in one day

My MAP sensor failed I got a new one from auto zone installed it on my vehicle. Took my vehicle for a 10 minute drive came back and it was fine. 2 Hours later I had to go somewhere so I started my vehicle and instantly my engine light came on again and it was back to chugging again on the road.

A: Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. ...

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. This issue is not the MAP sensor, but rather the mass air flow (MAF) sensor. This sensor is usually missed unless the computer sees it malfunctioning. Most of the time the MAF will get dirty and become ineffective and not work properly, but be within the parameters of the computer system. Check the MAF sensor and clean it out with dry air. Then put it on and disconnect the battery for 12 minutes and hook it up. This will clear the computer to want to relearn itself. Then drive the vehicle and see what happens. If the light comes back on, and the power is dropped again, disconnect the MAF and see if the engine continues to act the same. If the engine does not change then the MAF is not working and needs to be replaced. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, that can assist you with the engine chugging issue.