Q: Jerking at stopping and accelerating

Hi. My van started jerking whenever I make a stop and then accelerate. It happened after a 12-mile drive. Also, the dash showed check engine light on. I restarted it a few minutes later, so it ran fine but the dash light remain illuminated. What could be causing this? Thanks.

Hi there. It sounds like you may have an engine misfire or possibly a sensor problem. Since the Check Engine Light came on, I always start by scanning the computer for codes. That gives me a place to start. From there, I can diagnose what is going on. The most common cause of this on your vehicle is a dirty fuel injection unit. These fail all of the time. Before changing anything though I would check the computer. If you are planning on having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your acceleration issue.