Q: Jerking at stopping and accelerating

Hi. My van started jerking whenever I make a stop and then accelerate. It happened after a 12-mile drive. Also, the dash showed check engine light on. I restarted it a few minutes later, so it ran fine but the dash light remain illuminated. What could be causing this? Thanks.

A: Hi there. It sounds like you may have an en...

Hi there. It sounds like you may have an engine misfire or possibly a sensor problem. Since the Check Engine Light came on, I always start by scanning the computer for codes. That gives me a place to start. From there, I can diagnose what is going on. The most common cause of this on your vehicle is a dirty fuel injection unit. These fail all of the time. Before changing anything though I would check the computer. If you are planning on having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your acceleration issue.