Q: Van will not start randomly

My van, which has approx. 112,000 miles, is having trouble starting. It has a good battery, the engine is running, and an Emission test was performed last week. All is very good. Also, I changed the battery terminals. The starting difficulty is random; sometimes it will start and sometimes it won’t. The following can happen: while I’m driving, when I slow down, or shift into Drive or Reverse gear, the van stops; and yet other times it performs just fine, with no trouble at all. What is your advice to solve these problems? Thank you.

A: Hello. If you have a new battery and new te...

Hello. If you have a new battery and new terminal connectors, then I would be curious about the starter solenoid. That could cause temperamental starting with a perfectly good battery and electrical system. If the starter solenoid is beginning to fail, you will notice the no-start condition will start happening more and more frequently. If you would like to have this checked, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the no-start and let you know what should be done.