Q: What happens when a timing chain breaks?

Timing chain replacement is scheduled for next week on the VW Passat my daughter drives. What engine damage can occur if the timing chain breaks before it is replaced?

Hi there. The engine in your vehicle is known as a interference engine. This means that if the timing chain was to break off, then the pistons will come in contact with the cylinder head valves and either bend them or break them off. At highway speeds and the rpm’s being high will cause more damage then at lower speed and lower rpm’s. I recommend not driving the vehicle until the timing chain is replaced.