Q: I have a 2007 NissanMurano 169,000 miles. It is jerking while accelerating but no check engine light is on.

asked by on April 10, 2017

While accelerating from a stop, today my car started jerking as if it was going to stop. It steadily got worse within a 15 minute period of driving even though it has never done this before. It got so bad that it was shaking the whole car in a jerking motion so I stopped at a shop and they balanced the tires. It did not jerk anymore after that until a few hours later I drove out and it started again, just not as bad as the first time but then again, I returned home immediately so maybe it will go back to being as bad as before I don't know. The check engine light is not on and wasn't on before.. I'm going back to mechanic tomorrow.. any ideas on what could be the problem?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The first task to take on is finding out if the jerking is coming from the engine or wheels. Also keep in mind, even without a check engine light on, there may be a diagnostic code saved to the vehicle’s computer. These can be scanned by a technician, or at most automotive parts stores. Engine related issues like this are typically a sensor issue, fuel related, or a spark problem. If the wheels are to blame, your brakes and ABS systems need to be check first. Only further testing will tell. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr