Q: Car won't crank after an engine swap project

Well,

I've decided to swap the old 2.3 NG engine from my AUDI 90 for a 2.8 AAH from the Audi C4. It all went well, and the engine is bolted half way to the tranny.

It won't crank at ALL. Just a loud click, lights go very dim but visible. Jump started it, nope. Same thing. I had a similar starter laying around and I took the brush assembly with the stator and rotor, basically the whole "motor" part and put it onto the Audi C4 starter "head" and it does the same thing, so starter is not a problem.

Only thing I am thinking, the flywheel is VERY close to the tranny, and the bottom tranny bolts are missing because its just a test crank so far. The top two screws are on and two starter screws are on, but the rest, nope.

Could it be the flywheel being at a slight angle and biting onto the tranny locking the engine? Afaik, the engine DID turn by hand but hardly when it was outta the car. It had 190,000kms, and it was sitting in the open for a few months without sparkplugs.

Any advice?

Hi there. It seems that the swapped engine clutch is not connecting properly to the transmission and may be binding up causing the engine to not start. Try unbolting the transmission and sliding it out, and then try turning the engine over by hand. If the engine cranks by hand, then the clutch was binding up. If the engine does not crank by hand, then there is an issue with the engine internally. If you need further assistance with your engine not cranking up, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.