Q: Rattling noise from my front brakes - 1998 Ford F-150

A rattling noise has been coming from my front brakes for a couple weeks now. 2 days ago they started to feel like an unsteady decline in speed and slamming to a stop like I hit something. Today my brake pedal went all the way to the floor and only started to brake when I pushed hard on the last inch of give the pedal had. Do I just need new brake linings?

Hey there. The problem sounds like the front brake pads have worn down to metal and now the brake pad has worn to the point it came out of the caliper bracket causing the pedal to drop. You should not drive the vehicle due to the loss of brake pedal can be very dangerous.

You may have damaged the calipers and rotors driving the vehicle with worn out pads. With worn out front brakes this will cause the rear brakes to stop the vehicle and get worn out quicker than normal. Have all the brakes inspected and replace any worn out or broken components found. You may have to replace all the front brake pad, rotors, and calipers to fix the problem. Once the front brakes are fixed you may need to also do work to the rear brakes if they are worn down.

3. Rattling noise from my front brakes - 1998 Ford F-150