Q: Smaller serpentine belt shredded and pieces went into the crank shaft Tried to start timing jumped. How do I fix? 05' kia op 2.4L

asked by on October 11, 2017

Smaller serpentine belt that goes from water pump, alternator and ac (i believe) started shredding pieces into crank shaft ( I believe) , mechanic didn't check first after putting new serpentine belt on started the car right up no problem. He turned car off tightened the tensioner pulley went to start it again and wouldnt start at all. Tried 6 or 7 times removed cover on timing belt and noticed the timing jumped. Car wouldn't start back up until pieces removed from crankshaft, but even then car was hard to start engine shakes badly and stalls whenever u let off gas. Mechanic says I have a damaged valve but never adjusted my timing back where markings indicate. Had no engine problems prior just a squeaky serpentine belt. Needless to say I took my car home and will never return to that mechanic. Tryna figure out if I need ignition timing adjusted or timing belt replacement. All pulleys are in decent shape. Need help bad thank you in advance

The KIA 2.4 liter motor is what is called an interference motor and this means it will bend valves if the timing belt breaks or jumps timing. You will need to have cylinder head removed and bent valves replaced if head did not get damaged. If head got damaged then you will need to replace the entire cylinder head.