Q: Car bucks going up hill

asked by on October 05, 2016

Car bucks going up hill runs ok on level ground

When your vehicle climbs a hill, the additional stress is sometimes too much for it to handle. Judging by the "bucking", it seems the engine is struggling to combust the air/fuel mix in the cylinder. This can be due to sensor issues, and various other components failing. However it is likely that the engine is losing compression. A compression test can be done to determine if your engine is within specifications.

If you were having sensor issues, you would likely set off a diagnostic troubleshooting code. Have your vehicle scanned for codes. If your vehicle does not have any codes, and passes the compression test, you will want to look at the fuel delivery system next. Inspect the fuel pump, filter, injectors, and other components specific to your make and model.

If you need help with this repair, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to you and diagnose the bucking you’re experiencing firsthand for an accurate repair.