Q: Bad Ac compressor locked up and has been bad for a year will it have extra damage?

asked by on October 05, 2017

My ac compressor went out a year ago and I have been driving it just not using the Ac. It locked up on my this week so I’m having it replaced. Should I expect any additional problems with my car since I have been driving with a bad Ac compressor.

Hi Tiffany. Thanks for writing in today. The AC compressor is a stand alone system, meaning that if it’s damaged, it won’t necessarily damage other vehicle systems. The clutch on the compressor is what allows the pulley to engage and disengage from engine power so that the compressor is only turning when it needs to be. The clutch can seize, which permanently keeps the compressor activated; or it can break, which means the compressor will not be able to receive engine power. The only possible damage is when the pulley freezes it can cause the drive belt to break prematurely.