Q: The engine revs when the E-brake is used

When I apply the E-brake, my car would stop as it should. However, at that moment the engine would start revving. I had the codes read and none appeared. What should I do?

Hello! We will be happy to help. I believe the problem that you are describing is a normal driving pattern. In your particular vehicle Lexus/Toyota implemented a system called Artificial Intelligence Shift Patterning. It is consisted of many sensors which determine when you are braking or when you are going downhill, and when you brake it will downshift to help stop the vehicle.

You can help determine if the AISP is to blame by taking it out of automatic and placing it into S Mode. S Mode will turn off AISP and you will be able to notice a drivability difference. If you drive it and your complaint goes away then you know that; yes, what you are experiencing is normal.

The AISP is very sensitive, if something was wrong with it a code will surely set so I don’t think there’s an issue in that system. If this is not the case and you feel like it’s abnormal, have a certified mechanic diagnose your brake system firsthand. They will be able to fix the problem accordingly once the issue has been pinpointed.