Q: Stalls while accelerating fast

When I was trying to pass another car my Sprinter stalled. This happened 3 times when I stepped on the gas pedal and pushed all the way down real fast, hard and accelerated. The car started up right again right after it stalled, but this is very scary and could cause an accident. Do you know how I can fix this?

A: Hello. It is possible that your passing man...

Hello. It is possible that your passing maneuver fooled the Traction Control system enough to de-rate the turbocharger until you restarted the engine. Try turning the traction control off - it will severely limit power if triggered. Later model Sprinters had trouble with the turbocharger resonator failing with this behavior, but not the 2003. If you would like an expert to have this problem checked in person, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the stalling issue and let you know what needs repair.