Q: Smoke from underneath the hood.

Hi, I have a problem with my 2000 Ford Crown Victoria. I recently bought it and it's what I used to learn to drive. During the time none of the following issues were present. Now fast forward to a few days ago, I took it to run some errands and during the drive I got a faint smell of oil burning. I get to the place of my destination and I see smoke coming from underneath the hood. It isn't a lot of smoke, seems like it's entralized on the left side, but it's definitely visible and it's definitely oil. It hasn't even seen over 100 miles since ownership. I can also see that it only starts smoking when it's been on the street for a solid 2-5 min. But doesn't smoke on startup and there is no smoke from the exhaust. The smoke is white.

If the leak is on the drivers side of the car, near the front of the engine, then your oil filter or filter housing may be leaking. You did not mention how much oil is leaking or what system is getting low. You may have oil leaks from the engine head gasket or valve covers on that side. The crankcase breather and PCV valve may need to be replaced. The power steering may also have a leak since this type of fluid is also oil like. I recommend having a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, come and inspect your car’s smoking problem. They can visit your home or office to make a diagnosis on the car and perform any repairs that are needed.