Q: Excessive oil consumption

Recently, my car has started developing an excessive oil consumption problem. There's no smoke and no leaks. The enormous amount of oil my car uses is extremely expensive and a constant stress! The dealership has been giving me the runaround by telling me that this is "normal." I need to purchase a replacement car to save all this money spent on motor oil! What can fix this?

The manufacturer says that if you are using 1 quart per 1000 miles, then this is considered okay and is normal in their eyes. The problem is you will not have any recourse if this is what you are using. The oil usage is oil getting past the piston rings and the engine is passing it out your exhaust. You can try using different oil and weights your car recommends. Do a mileage check to monitor how much oil you are using; if you are using more than 1 quart per 1000 miles, then go to the dealer and show them the results of your test.