Q: Can I change gear ratio of my rearend if I also change the front

I have a 2001 dodge ram 4X4 sport. It has a bad rearend. Problem is the gear ratio in the rearend is 4:10 and it seems to be a very rare part to find used. I am wondering if I can change to a 3:55 if I also change the front to 3:55 to match.

When it comes to a four wheel drive vehicle, it doesn’t really matter what gears you use, as long as they match on the front and rear. So, if you wanted to switch to a 355 gear, that would be fine, as long as you switch both the front and rear differential gears to match. Also, you will need to keep in mind that when you change the gearing in the differentials, that this will also have an effect on the speedometer, and may need to have it recalibrated.