Q: With car off, exterior and interior lights start flashing

The battery in my car was replaced just less than a year ago. I had gone home during the day for a couple of hours and when I returned to my car the headlights and tail lights were flashing, plus the interior lights in the car cabin were also flashing. I tried to start the car, but it would not start. The radio and windows were working, along with other things in the car, but it would not start. When I turned the ignition, it sounded like the electronic fuel pump was engaging, but when continuing to try to start the car, nothing happened. Also when I try to start the car, it does not have that usual clicking noise you usually hear; there is only a humming noise. Later, the exterior and interior lights stopped flashing. But every time I open the driver’s door and when I turn the key, the lights start flashing again. The headlights were not on when I turned off the car. I found that the battery post’s positive cable was extremely loose. I tightened it and jump-started the battery, but that did not help the problem. What is causing this problem in my car?

It sounds like somehow the anti theft system was activated and drained the battery. Try locking all of the doors from the inside and close them. Then lock, unlock, lock and unlock the doors to see if the problem persists. You will likely have to get the battery charged and tested.