Q: I am trying to change the front passenger side cv joint on my crv; but the joint won't come out and i have been going at it for

I am trying to change the front passenger side cv joint on my crv; but the joint won't come out and I have been going at it for hours. If the emergency brake is on would that keep it from coming out or may it be something else

A: I’m not sure what side you are having troub...

I’m not sure what side you are having trouble with (the wheel side or transmission side), so I’ll go over both. Make sure the car is jacked up and supported by the body so the suspension hangs down. Remove the axle nut. Now is a good time to push on or strike the axle end to see if it is free. It will only move 1/2 inch or so.

Remove the ball joint nut. Strike the knuckle with a hammer to release the ball joint stud. Pry it down with a large pry bar on the control arm and swing the strut and knuckle away from the ball joint. Now you may tap the axle through the hub and bearing. They can be stubborn at times. Use a strap to secure the strut and knuckle out of the way. Lay the axle down on the control arm. The axle is secured to the transmission with a cir-clip. Usually a firm push with a pry bar will release it. If it is stuck, put moderate pressure with a pry bar and strike it with a hammer, or hammer and drift. A helper may be needed.

Be careful what you pry on. If it is still stuck, rotate the axle and try again. I don’t think Honda ever uses roll-pins to secure the axle to the transmission, but check first. Knock it all the way out with a roll-pin punch if you find one. Check the clip on the end of the transmission shaft for deformation once you removed the axle. If it is stretched out, you will have trouble installing the new axle.

Make sure the new axle is fully seated to the transmission, and properly torque the axle nut and ball joint nut. If you need help from a pro, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your car’s location to look over the car and help install the CV joint for you.