Q: I am finding it hard to believe that I am getting quoted $460 ford a rear bundle rear section evap system hose.

My truck has no issue performing just the annoying check engine light is on. The code that is pulled is a small evap leak. My mechanic says he found a hairline crack in a hose coming from the charcoal canister and wants to replace it with a ford part called a rear section rear bundle that costs $460. He says the will have to drop the gas tank to get to it which I understand. He also says a previous repair was done poorly with a non Ford part that ultimately failed. Total quote for the job is between 600-700 dollars. Is it worth it to fix this hairline crack?

A problem, in your circumstance, is if you let you the check engine light stay illuminated, by failing to address this EVAP leak, you will not in the future get notice of new issues if they arise. Fault codes will be saved, of course, if new faults develop but the light will "always" be on so you will not be alerted to the existence of new faults. If the hairline crack is truly (technically) in a "hose", the failed hose can be replaced, obviously at relatively low cost. I suggest you get a second opinion to see if there is a lower cost option to fix this. Again, if it is truly a "hose" repair, that does not match the quote. Even if there is a crack in a plastic enclosure or even a plastic nipple, there are acceptable repair strategies that obviate the need to buy new parts and so you should request a diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I am finding it hard to believe that I am getting quoted $460 ford a rear bundle rear section evap system hose.