Q: Bad torque converter?

Starts and idles fine. WHen switching to either reverse or drive it will bog down and die. If you hold the gas and change gears it runs great but when you slow down it will bog down really bad and die. I found that idling around it runs great but bogs down considerably when you apply the break.

Hello. A vehicle that stalls when put into gear can be caused by a few different things. A few common causes are engine performance or transmission issues. If the engine encounters performance issues such as fuel problems, or a fault with the idle air control valve it may not be able to hold or power or maintain an idle when put into gear. The same can also occur if there is an issue with the transmission, such as low fluid or an internal fault. If the engine appears to bog down when you apply the brakes then that could be a sign that there may be a vacuum leak, perhaps related to the brake booster or an associated component. If there is a check engine light accompanying the symptoms then retrieving the trouble codes will likely shed some light on what the issue could be. As stalling can be caused by a wide variety of different faults, if you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to determine what may be causing your vehicle to stall.

3. Bad torque converter?