Q: I have a fluid leak from something in the front of the truck

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with around 65,000 miles on it. I noticed the steering was getting kinda creaky and decided to take a look under the front of the truck. I saw that something had leaked so I took it in to get checked out. Turns out all of the fluid leaked out of the power steering pump and now I need to get a lot more replaced than I had anticipated. With the repair bill in the thousands, I can’t help but wonder if my driving killed the power steering reservoir or if it’s a quality issue. What would cause that specific part to break?

Some Jeep Grand Cherokees seem to have serious leaking problems regardless of engine size or whether or not you have all wheel drive.

Fluid leaks past seals inside the rack and pinion shaft and the first sign of a problem is when you start seeing fluid leak from the boots on either side of the rack and pinion. The only solution is to replace the offending parts.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can evaluate your power steering system, and perform any repairs needed to stop the leak.