Q: My car is shaking, mostly only when idling and the engine light is on. What is a common cause of this?

My engine light came on today as I was getting on the highway. There was no problem starting my car this morning. I pulled over and put my hazards on, turned the car off and waited a bit, then turned it back on and went the rest of my way to my college campus (about 7 mi). When I got off the highway and was stopping at stop lights, I noticed that she shaking and jerking occurred only then.

The best way to find out what is wrong is to have the system scanned for fault codes. The check engine light being on means a code, or multiple codes, have been stored. Unfortunately there is no "common" reason for this symptom. It can be due to any of dozens of sensors, spark or fuel issues. Checking for codes will give a mechanic a starting point of what may need service. A YourMechanic certified mechanic can come to your home or place of business and perform a car shaking or vibration inspection in order to diagnose and repair this issue.

• My car is shaking, mostly only when idling and the engine light is on. What is a common cause of this?