Q: Van don't turn over

I have a 2006 Chevy uplander. It won't start or even turn over at all with the key, but it will jumping the starter and drives fine. The van shifts fine while we are driving it as well. Dealership said the van thinks it's in 3rd gear and won't start so we need an internal transmission modulator. The battery is draining though also.

Hi B.B. There are several reasons why a car won’t turn over, however, if you are able to bypass that by manually activating the starter, then it’s quite possible that the dealership is correct in this case. The ignition system works with several electrical and monitoring systems that have to work together to relay a signal to activate the starter. One of the safety systems is the internal module they are referring to. If it has a fault that is indicating that the vehicle is in a forward gear, it will not allow the vehicle to start (as you shouldn’t start a vehicle in a forward gear). Unfortunately, this is a not a service our mobile mechanics could offer, as we do not complete internal transmission service, but you might find a lower price by consulting with a local transmission repair shop as opposed to the dealer.

3. Van don't turn over