Q: E-brake adjust.

My pickup rolls on an incline even with e-brake on. The brake pedal reaches floor board when fully depressed.

Hello. These are two separate issues as the brake pedal is a hydraulic system operating with brake pads and rotors and the e-brake is a brake cable that leads to a brake drum assembly.

First, lets address the brake pedal as that is a much more crucial part to everyday driving. The brake pedal going to the floor could mean a few different things. Here is what I would recommend:

1. Check the brake fluid to be sure there is enough fluid.

2. Check the pad thickness. If they are completely worn down this could cause the pedal to go very far down to the floor.

3. Check the brake booster to be sure it does not have a vacuum leak. For the vacuum leak test, let the truck idle without touching the brake pedal for at least a minute. Turn the engine off and wait one minute. Test for the presence of vacuum assist by pressing the brake pedal and releasing it several times. If there is vacuum present in the system, less and less pedal travel will occur.

As for the e-brake. Start by checking to see if the cable is broken by tracing it underneath the truck along the frame to the rear of the truck to the brake drum. Check to be sure the spring is still intact. If everything appears normal, pull the brake drum hub off to inspect it. Sometimes the brake shoes are too worn to grab when the e-brake is applied.

If you need assistance having this problem taken care of, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the brake system for you.

3. E-brake adjust.