Q: Transmission problems

I recently took my car into the honda dealer to have them diagnose a leak coming from my power steering reservoir. That part turned out to be a simple fix- replacing one of the return hoses. They did an inspection of the car along and I had them diagnose the transmission with it and told my that my differential was "bad" and that it is wearing out my bearings. They told me that the transmission will probably go out within the next few months and that it needs to be replaced. I havent noticed any problems with the transmission such as leaks or gears slipping. A few days before this I had another shop do an inspection and the only thing they told me about the transmission was that the fluid needed to be replaced. Im just wary of the dealer because the other shop didn't find a problem with the differential but I also didn't have the first shop to a full diagnosis of the transmission. How do you think I should proceed?

A diagnostic is only meaningful if there is a specific identification of a part or parts that have failed, are worn out, defective or the like. The bearings in the differential that you refer to are not visible for inspection, even if the axles are removed from the vehicle, which I presume didn’t happen because removal of both axles is involved. Thus, their mention of bearing failure is nothing but a guess. One way to inject some rationality into something like this is "get it in writing". In other words, if a mechanic cares to offer you a diagnostic get the result in writing so that you can then evaluate what is being claimed. You’re dealing with a very technical subject and whatever they "say" is going to be hard to parse and pin down unless it is in writing and you can then, at your leisure, see if it makes any sense. One thing of concern is the relatively low mileage on the vehicle. One-hundred thirty-eight thousand (138,000) miles on a Honda transmission is not a lot and if you are the original owner and the car was not abused, I would not expect the transmission to be worn out. So, the next person who says there’s a problem with the transmission, ask them to write down the specific Diagnostic. If they refuse or even balk at the request, that means there is either nothing wrong with the transmission or they fundamentally lack interest in your problem, of course, in either case your task is to simply find somebody else who can help you. If you are detecting noise from the transmission, do get it investigated. Obviously, a certified mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic can come right to your location if you request a noise diagnostic and that responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns related to this incident, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.