Q: Need a transmission

asked by on September 17, 2016

I need to know what kind of transmission I need for my van. I'm going to replace it and I'm ordering it online. I need to be totally sure I get the right one.

Hello. I will help you with this issue. The Chrysler OEM re-manufactured transmission for your car (assuming it is NOT 4WD) is Chrysler part number R5138422AE. My understanding is that transmission includes the torque converter (for many reasons, you cannot re-use your old torque converter). The on-line parts price for the R5138422AE appears to start at around $2,000 based on Chrysler dealer on-line websites.

As a comparison, I checked the pricing for you on a re-manufactured transmission from both ETE Reman (T150833) and Moveras (MO1148). Those two units are priced about the same at about $1,450 and thus each is about $500 to $600 cheaper than the Chrysler part but I am not sure if they include the torque converter which is essential to replace as I noted. Having dealt with rebuilt parts for 30 years, I recommend that you buy the transmission from Chrysler. To help you get your problem resolved quickly and efficiently, a specialist from YourMechanic would be pleased to perform a professional installation for you and also assist you with any further parts questions that you have relative to this repair. Also, keep in mind, before you replace your transmission you want to be sure that it can’t be repaired, perhaps at substantially lower cost. A YourMechanic transmission diagnosis and evaluation could help you on that, too.