Q: Van door not unlocking or opening.

The back door in my van won't unlock or open. I don't know if it is an actuator or a lock switch.

The rear door lock actuator can fail in two ways electrically or mechanically. If it fails electrically you will not hear the actuator try to operate when you try to lock/unlock the door. If it fails mechanically like the gear stripping internally it will have a grinding or whirring noise. If you hear the actuator try to activate the lock but nothing happens it could be internal to the latch assembly meaning the latch assembly is faulty. One last possibility would be the linkage between the actuator and latch has become disconnected. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, to remove the door panel and inspect the operation of the actuator and latch assembly.