Q: When I press the gas the car does not accelerate but instead makes a high rev noise.

asked by on September 15, 2016

When I attempt to press the gas the car will not accelerate but instead makes a high rev noise. The odd thing is if I stop pressing the gas, when it is revving high the RPM's drop and then I quickly press the gas again and the car jerks forward as if something that needs to be caught it catching? The only error code on the ODB is PO306-Cylinder 6 misfire. I've changed ignition coil, spark plugs and wires. What is the problem?

Hello. If the car is in "Drive" and you attempt to accelerate from a standing start and yet the car does not move forward, you have a problem with the transmission (perhaps the linkages) and/or torque converter. The misfire code might be simply a coincidental issue because even if the engine is running "roughly" (i.e., misfiring) if you are in "Drive" the car will move. Your best bet is to have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to diagnose the acceleration problem and advise you on repairs. It doesn’t sound like an "intermittent" problem at this point, so it should be fairly easy to discover what the issues are.