Q: My car shakes a lot at idle.

There is a check engine light that comes and goes. P0456. Only occurs at idle, vehicle seems fine otherwise. I just bought it 10k miles ago. I'm thinking it might need an engine tune up. Dealer wants 126 to find the issue, and I don't want to pay that if it's just a hose that needs replacing.

Diagnostic Trouble Code P0456 indicates a small leak in the EVAP system and such will not account for the rough idle. Check your gas cap as a faulty cap will frequently cause that code to set. If you replace the cap, use an OEM (dealer supplied) cap only. Rough running at idle can be caused by faults in the air induction system as well as the ignition and fuel systems. Faulty motor mounts can also cause the engine to vibrate. If you want the running condition of the engine evaluated by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a rough idle diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My car shakes a lot at idle.