Q: Electronic Stability Control repair/replacement - 2008 Saturn Sky

asked by on November 28, 2016

The car traction indicator comes on periodically and when this happens the car's brakes or wheels seem to lock up when stopping...the car jerks, wheels seem to lock up when stopping. The GMC dealer said the ECN needs replacing/repaired. What is the ECN and what does it do?

Traction Control Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - I believe you meant Electronic Stability Control module. ESC works somewhat like anti-skid brakes, applying selective brake pulses automatically in extreme cornering situations to improve driver control of the vehicle. It is somewhat unusual for the ECS module to fail. Wheel speed sensors, which ESC and ABS use for input, fail fairly often. If you would like a 2nd opinion, I would recommend an electronic suspension inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr