Q: Engine hot, difficult shifting, shutting off

Upon startup, the car would run well up to the point when the engine becomes warm. Then, it would quickly become hot. When this happens, the issues with shifting occur. The shifting becomes very difficult. As I start decelerating, the car would start to jerk badly. This happens at lower speeds from 15 to 15 mph.The engine would eventually shut off. I would restart the car immediately without any issues, but if I switch from neutral to drive, the car would shut off yet again. What might be the cause if this problem?

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais. A common problem that can cause stalling is a stuck torque converter clutch. This device connects the link between the engine and transmission, but should slip some when the engine is running and the vehicle is not moving. Check the coolant and transmission fluid levels to see if the level may have become low from a leak. The condition of the fluid in the transmission pan must be inspected for any pieces of debris that may be building up. If you would like help, have a mobile technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect you shifting problems and refill your transmission fluid or coolant if necessary.