Q: Q: How do I check the aim of the headlights?

How do I check the aim of the headlights?

While your headlights shouldn’t need to be adjusted for a very long time, it’s possible that carrying heavy loads or even minor impacts could affect their aim. This has obvious implications for driving at night or during other times when ambient light is low (an incorrectly aimed headlight doesn’t illuminate the road properly, and might actually be blinding other drivers). Here’s how to check the aim:

1. Find a wall, screen or other flat surface.

2. Park your car about 25 feet from it.

3. Turn on your headlights.

4. On the wall, mark a line that measures 8 feet long. It should be the same height as the headlights on your car are from the ground.

5. Make sure your headlights are on Low Beam.

6. Check the brightest areas of light on the wall. They should fall on the line that you drew.

Tip

If your headlights don’t fall on the line you drew on the wall, they need to be adjusted professionally.

3. Q: How do I check the aim of the headlights?