Q: When releasing my clutch in first gear, it stutters and vibrates the car.

Sometimes when releasing the clutch in first gear, the car stutters and shakes. It doesn't do it all the time so I don't know if the clutch is starting to go out, if it needs to be adjusted or if it's some other issue. I bought the car new and it's just started doing this.

It’s probably clutch related, for example due to worn out friction material and/or a pressure plate defect BUT it’s also possible that the motor mounts could be implicated and the engine as well if the engine is bogging down (due to an ignition, fuel, or air induction fault) under the load experienced when you start in 1st gear. If it is the clutch, it would have to be determined if it is just a mechanical issue or if there is contamination of the clutch facing due to an engine oil leak for example. The recommended service to have this problem diagnosed and resolved is a clutch system inspection. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will identify the cause of the problem and estimate the repair. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. When releasing my clutch in first gear, it stutters and vibrates the car.