Q: I just had the fuel fill inlet replace and the gas door light came on again. Seems like the light comes on from driving in rain or going through a car wash. What is happening?

asked by on November 15, 2016

Check fuel inlet message comes on dash screen. I have a 2011 Ford Escape. Just had the fuel fill inlet replaced. Message came on after pouring rain so I looked inside gas door and there is a small puddle inside. Before it was changed the light came on and I had it reset. After washing the vehicle (before the part was changed) the light came on again. Seems like the gas door doesn't like water around it. Can you help?

Hi there. If water is getting into the fuel door and flooding the gas cap area, first check the gas cap for a good seal. The cap should seal the fuel and vapors in and not leak out. If the cap is leaking, then when water gets into the fuel door compartment, the water can get into the fuel tank causing the engine to stall out. The fuel door is there just to cover the fuel filler neck and gas cap and lock out the cap from being exposed to the outside of the vehicle. I recommend replacing the gas cap if its not sealing. If you need further assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with your fuel inlet message that appears on your dash screen.