Q: I put in a new starter and battery and my Jeep will not start. Please help me get my Jeep to start.

asked by on November 16, 2016

I own a 2015 jeep patriot it's been running fine then it did not start one day i did not bother the jeep for like a day then i tried to start it it started from then on it would try not to start . i got a new starter replaced the old one . so the battery had a egg like smell . someone told me i needed a new battery so i replaced the battery as well. so i put in the new battery thinking that's all it needed . but no it still did not stat . i took the starter of and on many times to check the wires . but still well not start. I do not know what is going on or what I am not doing right. please help me get my jeep to start.

Service Battery/cables $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Check to see if the wiring to the battery and the starter are tight and clean. A bad connection will cause a no start situation. If the battery cables and wires are all tight and clean, then go in the cab and turn on the ignition switch and see if any thing in the cab works.

If nothing comes on, then check the fuse box for any blown fuses. If all the fuse are good in the cab and under the hood, then the ignition switch needs replaced. If the ignition switch is good and the accessories come on, then either the starter relay in the fuse box has failed or the wires from the starter relay to the ignition switch has become burned or loose. Check the wires from the starter relay on the starter to the ignition switch. If everything checks out to be good, then the ignition switch needs replaced.

If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, that can assist you with your no start situation and help you with the power surge.