Q: Rpm spike and engine rattle

asked by on December 22, 2016

My rpms are spiking when I accelerate and it doesn't really accelerate too much for it to do this. Also there is a metallic engine rattle when I push the gas too.

Hello. Thank you for writing in. The vehicle seems to be having a shifting issue. A rattling noise is a bad sign that something has broken off inside of the engine or transmission that is disabling it from shifting correctly. The shifting issue may be directly related to the rattle, or a chain effect or symptom of a different problem. The noise needs to be identified and located. From there we can determine what the issue may be, and how to approach the repair. With the age of the vehicle, you may be under some form of warranty. With that said, the issue should not be ignored and needs to be addressed ASAP. For more help and information on dispatching a technician to the vehicle, contact our service department.