Q: 2008 Mazda CX-9 twin camshaft sensor with shavings

I have a 2008 Mazda CX-9 check engine light came on it was diagnosed with a twin camshaft sensor problem it was replaced the light came back on they looked at the sensor there was shavings on it otherwise there is a delay when starting the car other than that it runs fine transmission and all.

Hi there. Remove the valve cover to the engine. Get a flashlight and look at where the sensor is located at on the top of the engine. Check to see where the camshaft sensor is located and see if the sensor is being chipped away from the camshaft. Disable the ignition or fuel injection system and crank the engine over. Observe the camshafts and see if they are moving straight or at a bowed angle. If the camshafts are at a bowed angle, then the bearings on the camshaft are worn out and need replaced. Since the cylinder head is aluminum, the cylinder head would need replaced. If the camshaft is not bowed, then watch it laterally and see how much it’s moving. If it’s moving too much, then the bearings are worn into the camshaft and the shim on the camshaft would need replaced. If you need further assistance with your camshaft sensors failing and seeing shavings where the sensor is installed at, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. 2008 Mazda CX-9 twin camshaft sensor with shavings