1995 f150 Possible blown head gasket f-150 l6-4.9l ford 1995

Q: 1995 f150 Possible blown head gasket

asked by on July 05, 2017

Truck got hot shut down no oil. Put oil in it got home changed the thermostat. Had a 195 I think put a 160 thermostat in it. When replacing it I didn't clean it good enough and water was coming out of the housing bad. Cleaned it up and no more water came out since. Now when I drive it, it will get hot after about 15-20 minutes and after that I will begin to lose power. Also the radiator cap will begin to squeal hearing the pressure come out sounds like. Had only happened once this is the day after I replaced it and I was coming home from work. Didn't have coolant used water and during all this the oil cap is milky and dipstick oil seems fine just a little bit of water on it (tiny bit). I can also look down the oil cap and see some water on rocker arms. no leaks come out of anywhere on this truck.

It sounds like you may in fact have a blown head gasket. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted and in some cases may result in the engine not maintaining enough cylinder compression to even run or start. This type of failure may not always show with a compression test. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.