Q: I have a cold weather auto start feature in my auto start remote.

I have heard that using the cold weather timed auto start feature is not good for the engine because when it is very cold the oil is thick and brief starts like on a timer to start every 3 hours and run for four minutes could actually cause the block heater to crack. Please let me know when it is safe to use the timed cold weather auto start feature. If it is not safe to use I don't understand why it is a feature for cold weather. Kindest regards, Paula Culling.

My car has an automatic transmission. It is a 2016 Mitsubishi RVR.

Hi there. The cold weather timer is a great feature to have, but you can adjust the time for the auto start to stay on for. I recommend setting the timer for 20 minutes to allow the engine to warm up. The hardest thing to do on an engine is start it up and shut it off before it warms up. This will gel up the engine oil and causing the engine to fail due to lack of engine oil. If you need further assistance with your auto start system, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.