Q: I own a 2000 mercury sable LS DOHC and yesterday I changed my cyclinder 3 coil and my car ran better then ever but I went to start

I own a 2000 mercury sable LS DOHC and yesterday I changed my cyclinder 3 coil and my car ran better then ever but I went to start it up and it constantly pours out white smoke my engine isn't over heating and the only thing that leaks is my tranny every so often I was originally running 5w 30 but 4-6 days ago I topped it off with 5w 20 because autozone said it would be better sense winter is coming up and it's getting colder I've looked up a lot of possibilities and I was wondering what could be making this white smoke come out? Head gasket? PCV? Any information is much appreciated

Hello. There are 2 likely sources of the white smoke - which is engine coolant getting into the exhaust system. The lower intake manifold gasket can leak coolant into the air intake and a blown headgasket - common on these engines once they are past 100K miles or so. The timing with the coil change and oil top off is coincidental. I recommend having an expert, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the car firsthand to determine the cause of the smoke and help you move forward with repairs.

• I own a 2000 mercury sable LS DOHC and yesterday I changed my cyclinder 3 coil and my car ran better then ever but I went to start