Q: My car is skipping.

asked by on September 08, 2016

My car cranks up fine but when I start to drive it, it skips. It normally skips when it's going slow and at higher speeds it doesn't skip much, sometimes not at all. I smell gas or some type of fumes when parked. I sometimes hear a little whistling sound. I just got 2 new coil packs put in less than a year ago. What could be the problem?

Hello. This can be caused by a number of things. It can be anything from a faulty sensor to a tune-up issue. I usually check the computer for codes and check all of the sensor readings with a scan tool. This will allow me to see if the computer is seeing anything that is not right. Most of the time this is caused by a failing oxygen or air flow sensor or from worn out spark plugs. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home or office to diagnose the engine’s hesitation issue.