Slow crank, battery and connecters good. l6-4.0l cherokee...

Q: Slow crank, battery and connecters good.

asked by on July 09, 2017

I bought this vehicle from a close friend of mine, needs extra TLC. I'm having a slow crank when I turn the key. I had it looked at by a profesional recently and they replaced any bad connecters and the battery is still good. There is a small oil leak so is it possible for any loose oil could be shorting something?

It is unlikely that an oil leak would have any impact on the slow cranking you describe. Generally, slow cranking is related to a weak battery or charging system. It sounds like you may have a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.