Q: How do I open the hood?

How do I open the hood?

A: Opening the hood is the vital first step in...

Opening the hood is the vital first step in being able to keep track of maintenance items like oil level, coolant level, power steering fluid level, air filter condition and more. Thankfully, it’s easy to do on the Altima. Here’s how:

1. Locate the hood release latch under the dash on the driver’s side of the car.

2. Pull the latch.

3. Step around to the front of the car.

4. Locate the hood latch by raising the hood slightly. It should be located near the

center.

1. Lift the latch lever.

2. Raise the hood.

3. Secure the hood with the prop rod.

To close the hood:

1. Remove and replace the prop rod (support the hood while you’re doing this).

2. Lower the hood to about six inches above the latch point.

3. Drop the hood.

4. Make sure the hood closed and latched securely.