Q: Car engine turns off and dies when car is put in reverse or drive.

asked by on November 30, 2016

Vehicle starts up fine. Engine idles regularly, in neutral the engine can be revved up with no problem. When car is put into reverse or drive, the engine sputters and then seizes up and dies. Check engine and oil light comes on after car engine dies. Oil recently changed.

Hello there, many common faults will cause your 2008 Nissan Altima to shut off when put in drive or reverse. The first step in diagnosis is to check the transmission for leaks, and the fluid level and condition. Once the transmission fluid is checked most common faults are the torque converter, Idle air control valve, vacuum leaks, or a wiring harness fault. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your engine shuts off when put in drive and make any repairs required.